What you put on your skin is important to you and to your baby’s health. Many ingredients and chemicals have particles that are small enough to pass through the skin into our bloodstream, and these particles can break down even further and pass through the umbilical membrane to the baby. Many products that we are using have over 3,000 chemicals that are causing our bodies harm.
What beauty products are safe during pregnancy?
Many products are safe! It is a matter of searching out those that are; and avoiding the ones that are not. Our bodies are exposed to a lot of toxins in everyday life; some are preventable and some are not. It only takes 60 seconds or LESS for a product to become absorbed into the skin…I’m here to empower you and share with you healthier non toxic choices. It is overwhelming, so pick one thing at a time start making the change.
What you want to look for is natural ingredients that come from nature, and a minimal list of ingredients. Ingredients that you can actually pronounce and are not created in man made labs. The longer the list despite if something is listed ‘natural’ may not be NATURAL. Typically finding quality, toxic free ingredients are challenging to find on the shelf of your local grocery or drugstore. Typically looking for a smaller company that really cares about its product is the best place to start.
What chemicals/products are bad for pregnancy?
Unfortunately there are many! And they are not just bad during pregnancy; they are bad for anyone and everyone. The most common chemicals you want to avoid are things listed as ‘fragrance’, phthalates or synthetic musks. These all cause harm to your reproductive system, and increase risk of breast cancers.
Here is a list of ingredients you should avoid in skin care:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate
- Triclosan and triclocarban
- Aminophenol, Diaminobenzene, Phenylenediamine (Coal Tar)
- Retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, retinoic acid and retinol.
- Petroleum distillates.
Think about the products you use that will spend the longest time sitting on your skin, such as lotion, make-up, perfume and start there. My personal recommendation for skin care is a company called Primally Pure, the owner Bethany is a mother and strives to provide high quality, all natural skin care that nourishes and heals our skins. I struggled for a very long time during postpartum periods with my skin and Primally Pure has been the long awaited answer to healthy, glowing skin.(Use code KSPANO to save 10% at checkout today!)
Can I use deodorant while pregnant?
Well yes you can! Again, check your labels!
Here is a list of ingredients you do not want in your deodorant:
- Parabens are preservatives that allow the product to last longer by preventing mold or bacteria growth, BUT have been very closely linked to endocrine disruption + breast cancer.(Parabens are also in processed Food!)
- Fragrance masks odor + makes you smell slightly florally or that shower fresh smell, BUT its is really a mixture of 3,000+ chemical ingredients and the cause of countless serious health issues.
- Aluminum blocks your pores to prevent sweat and keep you dry all day long, BUT studies have revealed its connection to detrimental diseases like Alzheimer’s and even death.
- Propylene Glycol: Fragrance, skin conditioner + absorption enhancer. It is linked to organ toxicity and skin irritations. And because it improves product penetration, it helps to carry other harmful ingredients in the product through the skin. (FYI, It’s also found in anti-freeze.)
- Benzyl Salicylate: Fragrance, UV absorber. Linked to endocrine disruption, weakened immune system and skin allergies.
- Phthalates: Makes products pliable + stick to skin. Linked to permanent birth defects and endocrine disruption.
- Triclosan: Antibacterial agent + preservative. Linked to liver toxicity, skin allergies and thyroid dysfunction.
What is inside your deodorant DOES matter, and with something you most likely apply daily , or multiple times a day these toxins will build up in your body and begin to breakdown your overall health. If your pregnant imagine the breakdown that begins before your babe is even born!
It is extremely important to actually READ and RESEARCH your product labels.
What should I look for in an all natural deodorant?
Look for products made with pure ingredients that aren’t diluted with chemicals or buried under a long list of cheap fillers and stabilizers.
Labels that don’t contain anything lab-made and ingredients that come directly from their source – nature. I mean nature DOES have the best of the best right?! Look for nourishing ingredients that give you exactly what you need to strengthen your immune system, skin structure and sense of wellness – without the harmful side effects! You and your baby are worth it! Primally Pure actually makes a deodorant too! I originally started using their deodorant FIRST because I hit a point where NOTHING was working for me anymore. So much that I completely stopped using deodorant all together. I really enjoy the Lemongrass scent; and the best part, a stick of deodorant lasts me 6 months! (Use code KSPANO to save 10% at checkout today!)
What shampoos are bad for you during pregnancy?
Again, the list is very similar to what we have discussed but I will drop a list here for you. It seems silly to think that shampoo would cause so much harm to you as its only on your skin for a few minutes; but it takes less than 60 seconds for something to absorb into your skin, and it takes even less time for something to absorb into your scalp through your open hair follicle.
Here is a list of ingredients to AVOID:
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Sodium Chloride.
- Polyethylene Glycols (PEG)
- Synthetic Fragrances.
- Mineral Oil
- Parrafin Wax
- Plastic Microbeads
Honestly, the list goes on and it is REALLY overwhelming to be honest! Not only should you avoid these during pregnancy, but you should avoid them FOREVER.
You want to look for ingredients that come from nature, and really really avoiding anything with the word “FRAGRANCE” unless it is from an essential oil of some sort. Total transparency, it took me about 4 years to FINALLY find a non-toxic, all natural, anti-aging hair product that didn’t leave my hair totally lifeless, flat & gross. I highly recommend you look into them!
During pregnancy not only should you be mindful of what you put ON your body, but what you put IN your body plays another huge factor in the health of your baby and your pregnancy journey.
How do you remove toxins from your home?
By taking one small step at a time! It is overwhelming; so start with one area of your home, products before moving on to another.
Here is a list of some great places to start:
- Eat organic. One easy way to minimize toxins is to eat food that hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides and herbicides. The Dirty Dozen is a great place to start!
- Get fresh air daily! Get out for walks, enjoy the weather, its good for you and baby.
- Bring nature indoors by purchasing some indoor plants. They help filter the air and remove toxins from the air as well. Just be sure to check for ones that won’t harm baby!
- Wear natural sunscreens. Sunscreen is another beauty product that is filled with chemicals and can increase your chances of skin cancer instead of reducing it. Look for products that contain naturally occuring Zinc, Badger is a great brand to look into.
- Drink a lot of water! Cut out carbohydrated beverages, and just chug the water. LaCroix seltzer is a great way to spice things up.
How do I reduce Toxins from my body/Where to start?
It’s impossible to completely avoid chemicals, but there are things you can do to reduce your exposure and the level of toxicity in your body.
- Eat organic.
- Read labels! Educate yourself!
- Exercise on a daily basis.
- Cut out saturated fats, sugars & highly processed foods.
- Use better—and less—cleaning products, Here is a DIY Tutorial of the ONLY cleaning products I use in my house, from mirrors, to windows to counters and bathrooms.
- Avoid plastic and nonstick pans. Being cautious of the cooking ware you use is another great place to start.
Shockingly, the United States only bans 11-30 toxic chemicals from their beauty products that are allowed to go out on the market; while the European Union, Asia and Canada have a list of over 1300 ingredients that they do not allow in their products.
It really starts to make you wonder; WHY all of these ‘toxic’ ingredients that are allowed here in the United States. The health concerns that these chemicals are a direct cause of cancers, neurological defects, skin conditions, ADHD, and Autism. There are even studies that have found these chemicals in women’s breast-milk and in the umbilical cord of newborn babies.
The beauty industry is a 450 Billion Market Industry. The amount of CHEMICALS that are pumped into our food and beauty products which are then sold to us in order to ‘prevent this’ and ‘prevent that’, is sickening. Science can only take you so far and there is a point where science becomes too man-made and causes more harm than good.
It is important to remember that switching to non-toxic ingredients takes time. You cannot overhaul every single product at once; it would be too much. Switching to non-toxic starts with you; empower yourself with the knowledge to start reading labels, to eating healthier, getting outside more and being more mindful. Being mindful is a FREE way of life, it is a way of living, a way of looking at things and anyone can start!
**There are affiliate links throughout my blog posts. Our website receives an extremely small amount of commission if you purchase through the links, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! I only recommend products that I personally use and have in our little home. **
Print out your FREE Toxins to Avoid Checklist Below!